TCR-Kuwait's failure analysis strength is in evaluating high temperature and high pressure failures. The Failure Analysis Team at TCR-Kuwait Engineering has experience in the materials, failure analysis, metallurgical, welding, quality assurance, and forensic engineering fields and is conducted by engineers holding advanced degrees in metallurgy, and mechanical, civil, chemical, and electrical engineering.
TCR-Kuwait Engineering works with our clients to plan the failure analysis before conducting the investigation. A large amount of time and effort is spent carefully considering the background of failure and studying the general features before the actual investigation begins.
Failure Analysis Procedure
Cause of failure is determined using state-of-the-art analytical and mechanical procedures and often includes simulated service testing. A combination of analysis and physical testing locates problems and provides recommendations for solutions.
Our initial step to perform failure analysis begins with visually studying the failed part and asking detailed questions regarding associated parts, plant environment and operational procedure. A complete evaluation sequence of the failure investigation steps are summarized as under:
- Collection of background data and selection of samples
- Preliminary examination of the failed part
- Complete metallurgical analysis of failed material
- A through examination of the failed part including Macroscopic and Microscopic examination and analysis (electron microscopy may be necessary)
- If necessary tests also include Weld Examination, Case Depth, Decarburization Measurement, Coating/Plating Evaluation, Surface Evaluation and/ or Grain Size Determination
- Chemical analysis (bulk, local, surface corrosion products, deposits or coating and microprobe analysis)
- Tests to simulate environmental and physical stress that may have played a role in the failure
- Selection and testing of alternative products and/or procedures that will significantly improve performance
- Analysis of fracture mechanics.
- On-site evaluation and consulting services
- Analysis of all the evidence. Formulation of conclusions and writing the report (Including recommendations).
In the course of the various steps listed above preliminary conclusions are often formulated. If the probable fundamental cause of the metallurgical failure becomes evident early on in the examination, the rest of the investigation focuses on confirming the probable cause and eliminating other possibilities. The metallurgical failure analyst compiles the results of preliminary conclusions carefully considering all aspects of the failure including visual examination of a fracture surface, the inspection of a single metallographic specimen, and the history of similar failures.
Failure Analysis Projects
Our partner company, TCR Engineering has completed more than 300 failure investigation
assignments, including 50 major projects on manufacturing or metallurgical failure analysis on ASME boiler and pressure vessels, Aircraft /Aerospace, Gas turbine engine components, Oil and gas transmission pipelines, Food processing equipments, Heat exchangers, Medical supplies, Automotive components, Refineries, Petrochemical plants, Offshore structures, Industrial machinery, Weldments and Ships.
Brief Case Study
View some case study examples of our noteworthy failure investigation projects:
· Primary Super Heater R-4 Zone Tube of a 140 Mw Boiler
· Radiant Coil of a Cracker Furnace H-130 Refinery
· 8th Stage Blade of a Steam Turbine
· Sac Plant Piping Going to V-801
· Integral Pinion Shaft of a Cement Mill
You can also download failure analysis case study examples